Monday, January 17, 2011

"Cheese" Sauce

Happy Monday, All!

I had the day off today! I did some shopping, had lunch with a friend, worked on my resume while drinking coffee at Starbucks, and cooked. All in all a good day. I'm sad its almost over, as I now work 7 days in a row. Bleh - oh well. I'm sure it won't be that bad.

On to my yummy supper! We bought a couple of russet potatoes yesterday on a whim, so I decided to make baked potatoes for supper tonight. I just wasn't sure how I wanted to serve them.

Awhile back I made some delicious cheesy pasta sauce and remembered thinking that it would be good on other things. Things like baked potatoes and roasted broccoli.

Cheesy Sauce from Vegan Yum-Yum
(I halved this today, but made the full amount when I used it as a pasta sauce.)

1 Cup Soymilk
1/3 Cup Raw, Unsalted Cashews
1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
3 Tbsp Low-Sodium Tamari or Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Earth Balance Margarine
1 Tbsp Tahini
1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp Paprika
1 Pinch Nutmeg
2-4 Cloves of Garlic, optional
Black pepper, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Then either heat it on the stove in a saucepan if using it as a topping, or combine in a skillet with cooked pasta.

Easy as that!


It thickens up pretty nicely while being heated. Make sure to stir quite often so it doesn't burn.


Mmmm, a delicious and simple supper. It's a really good cheesy sauce, without all the fat and cholesterol that comes with real cheese. I topped my potato with some vegan sour cream and ground pepper, as well. The broccoli was roasted in the oven like we always do - with olive oil, salt, and pepper at 375° for about 10 minutes. Yum! A hearty and warm meal was just what we were hungry for - especially since it's barely above 0° outside!

I think the sauce would also go well over rice or quinoa. I'll test that out by using the leftovers in a quinoa bowl tomorrow for lunch. I hope I won't be disappointed!

I'm off to enjoy the last few hours of my day off. Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be about -20° real air temp when I get up. We'll see if I'm motivated enough to hit the gym, or if I'll just stay cozy in bed.

Goodnight!

~Kasey

1 comment:

  1. So cool you live in Fargo! I actually go there to shop quite a bit. I'm from Bemidji, MN :-) Not too far away!! Hope you're staying warm!

    ReplyDelete