Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fried Rice

Good Morning!

I hope you're having a good week so far. Mine has been ok; I'm still adapting to this whole "real job" thing - working 40 hours at my desk. It hasn't been so bad, definitely much less stressful that job + school. Once I get done with my shift I can forget about work and pursue things that make me happy - like cooking!

Last night I made an adapted version of the Fried Rice recipe listed in Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet. I love this book and was excited to make a recipe using a couple of things I haven't used before - daikon, bok choy, and rice vinegar. Here is my adapted version.

Fried Rice
serves 2 generous portions

1 tbsp sesame seed oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup of thinly sliced daikon rounds
1 large carrot sliced into rounds
1 head of baby bok choy, chopped
1/4 cup of diced yellow onion
1 crown of broccoli, chopped
1 cup of cooked brown rice
rice vinegar and soy sauce, to taste

In a large skillet or wok, combine the oil, garlic, and salt. After about a minute, add the onion. After another minute or 2, add the carrot and daikon. Once those begin to soften, add the broccoli and bok choy. Season with soy sauce throughout the cooking process to taste.

Once the veggies are close to being done to your liking (I like mine still a bit crisp), season the rice with the vinegar and soy sauce and add to the skillet. Mix everything together and let cook for another minute or two and serve!


Looks good, right?


We had a glass of Riesling with our meal.


Mmmm, what a delicious mound of food!

This was really good! I liked the daikon a lot and am excited to try it in more things. This meal was so easy and quick, too. I got home a bit after 6:30 and we were eating just after 7. By 7:30, the kitchen was clean and we were relaxing on the couch with another (small!) glass of wine. Good day :)

I hope you enjoy your day!

~Kasey

No comments:

Post a Comment