Monday, January 10, 2011

Taco Salad

Hello!

I hope your Monday wasn't too painful. Mine went by pretty fast! I was very excited for dinner all day long. I make some type of taco dish every other week or so because it is so easy, quick, healthy, and delicious!

For this recipe, I was originally going to use some meatless ground for the "meat" of this dish, but the grocery store was out, so I used plain ol' black beans. It turned out wonderfully!

Taco Salad
6 corn tortillas
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
cumin
chili powder
black pepper
cayenne pepper
tabasco
lettuce
onion
salsa
sour cream - I used Tofutti's vegan sour cream, you could also use plain greek yogurt
cheese - I used Dayia's vegan cheddar cheese, but again, you could use any type you like

Preheat oven to 375°. Cut corn tortillas (I use a pizza cutter) into chip like pieces and arrange on a baking sheet. Coat with olive oil and salt to taste and bake for about 10 minutes. Check them frequently because they do burn pretty quickly. They should be crispy and just beginning to brown when they are done.

While the tortillas are baking, drain and rinse the black beans. Then place into a skillet, and cook on medium heat. Use the spices listed to season the beans to your liking.

The beans should be done at about the same time as the chips. Then serve with your choice of toppings!


Delicious! I like to assemble mine by starting with lettuce, then beans, cheese, onion, salsa, sour cream, and then the chips. I had this plate, and then another serving! Dillon loved it, too! We've never done a taco salad with beans before, and they were really good. Definitely one of my favorite meals.

I've always loved tacos, and they are just so versatile! Plus- this meal took only about 20 minutes to make, which is great since I don't get home from work until a little after 6:30.

Well I think I'm going to do some reading before turning in for the night. I just picked up some compression socks (in hot pink, of course) that I'm excited to wear during my run tomorrow morning! I must be well rested to have a good run. I'll report back later with how I feel about them.

Good night!
~Kasey

No comments:

Post a Comment