Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Focus

Truth? I've been struggling.

With weight, that is. I've been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds for over 6 months now, and I'm sick of it. I hate complaining about something, and then not doing something to change it. So here it is, I'm going to start tracking calories to lose weight.

My goal: 10 pounds by my 22nd birthday - March 30th

Sounds do-able right? It would take me to the lowest weight that I can remember being - 145 pounds. I know ladies shouldn't share their weights, but I'm not ashamed of it! I've come so far, and just have a little more to go until I'll feel truly comfortable. Ideally, I'd like to be at 140 because that would put me right in the "healthy" BMI range, but we'll see how 145 feels.

10 pounds seems like so little compared to the 40 or so I've already lost, but it seems like it gets harder the closer you get to that goal.

Now I HATE counting calories. I only did it sporadically when I lost the first chunk of weight, but I'm feeling like I need some help and accountability this time around. I need to document what I'm eating so I don't graze throughout the day as much as I do now.

Pretty soon - as in a week! - I'll have my new iPhone, and I think it will really help me stay accountable because its something I'm going to want to use all the time anyway, so I can use it to track calories as well as take some pictures of what I'm eating to share here.

I don't want this blog to turn into a weightloss blog, but right now I need write about my journey, and this is going to be my new focus. I really find taking pictures of everything I eat to be quite tedious, but it might help for awhile. Of course I'm still going to be sharing recipes, meal plans, and such - I'll probably just be adding in longer day recaps of how my eating and working out went.

It's going to take some getting used to, so expect to see some changes throughout the next week or so as to what I'm writing about. I really want to get rid of these last 10 pounds before summer and racing season.... so lets do this!!

It's all about eating quality foods and moving more. Both of which I do, but I just tend to eat a bit too much of the good foods, and my workout habits have been improving a lot over the last month or so.

My calorie goal is going to be about 1400/day - adding in about 200-250 on workout days, and a bit more if its a long run day. I don't want to be starving myself - my body needs fuel!

And that's what food should be - fuel. Not something that helps you when you're bored or comforts you when you're frustrated. That's part of my issue, and I know I'll always have some trouble with that. But that's ok - It's a journey, and for this part I'm determined to break some of those bad habits!

Enough rambling! I'll try to check in tonight with how today went.

I hope you have a good day! It's almost Friday :)

~Kasey

4 comments:

  1. Hey don't get discouraged, you've done amazing. As for tracking your calories, it does help get things back on track. A great site is SparkPeople.com It has a ton of food, a place where you can enter your own food, and it tracks exercise progress as well.
    I had it on my blackberry so there should be an iPhone app out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Yeah - I use Livestrong for food and then Dailymile for exercise right now. SparkPeople is good, too, but I've always preferred Livestrong for some reason!

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the "my fitness pal" ap. I love it! It tracks your exercise so it adjusts for the days that I work out and need more "fuel."

    Kevin and I went to a parenting class tonight. We noticed how many times food was mentioned as a reward. So sad that the bad habits are continuing to be passed down to the next generation. If we'd learn early on that food is just fuel, we won't have an obesity problem like we do. Keep up the great truths and great blog! Love you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, My Fitness Pal tracks calories too... so calories, exercise and water intake all in one!

    ReplyDelete